The full rules for the SADVA competitions are available in the SADVA Handbook
Rules and Scoring
- Matches are 50 minutes long (see full timings below).
- It is the refereeing team's responsibility to ensure the match starts on time.
- The scorer is responsible for official timings.
- The first 2 sets will be played to 21 points, 2 clear points up to a maximum of 23 (ie 23-22 wins), and the third set will be played to 15 points, 2 clear points up to a maximum of 17.
- In the 2nd and 3rd sets, a team needs at least 5 points to win the set.
- Sets cannot be drawn - a deciding point must be played, as long as the set has reached at least 4-4.
- No time-outs or substitutions in the last 5 minutes of the match.
- The refereeing team shall nominate a 'player of the match' to be marked on the score sheet.
- 1 league point will be awarded for each set won.
- An additional league point will be awarded to the winning team, provided that team wins 2 sets.
- At the end of the season, position will be decided on points, sets difference, sets won, match points difference then match points won.
- Once the first match of a league has been played, all fixtures in that league are finalised. Any further changes to the fixtures must be arranged by the team needing the change at least two weeks in advance, with agreement of all teams involved and notified to the Fixtures Secretary.
- Late starts will be penalised as we must finish on time.
- If a 7:00 or 8:00 match finishes early, later times should be brought forward so we can clear the hall by 10pm if possible.
- Full Timings for triangular fixtures:
|7:00||Warm up for the first game|
|7:05||Over the net|
|7:10||Official start time|
|7:20||Forfeit the first set if team incomplete|
|7:30||Forfeit the game if team incomplete|
| || |
|8:00||Warm up for the second game|
|8:05||Over the net|
|8:10||Official start time|
|8:20||Forfeit first set if team incomplete|
|8:30||Forfeit the game if team incomplete|
| || |
|9:00||Warm up for the third game|
|9:05||Over the net|
|9:10||Official start time|
|9:20||Forfeit first set if team incomplete|
|9:30||Forfeit the game if team incomplete|
|10:00 ||Game ends|
Penalties for Refereeing Sides Arriving Late
- Similar to those for late teams: ie forfeit set if 10 minutes late.
- If a match starts late due to the refereeing team being late, or failing to set up in time for the match start, it will run for it's full 50 minutes (i.e. the match will finish beyond its official end time) but the following game will finish at its appointed time and the refereeing team will forfeit the first set.
- e.g. If the refereeing team arrive late and the first match starts at 7:20 (instead of 7:10), it will end at 8:10. The second match will then start at 8:20 (instead of 8:10), with the team that refereed the first match forfeiting the first set, and will end at 9:00 (ie will only last 40 minutes).
- The third game will proceed as normal.
- For penalty purposes, the first referee, second referee and scorer must be there for start of the warmup.